Skip to main content

Resting in God's Peace

Life is hard. To be honest, it sucks sometimes. The last few days have been so emotionally draining. I have cried harder than I ever have, hugged so many people, laughed at sweet memories, clung so hard to my friends, and relied on God to show his goodness in this situation. Losing a friend is never something that I ever thought would happen this young. Death in general is difficult. The finality and suddenness of it scares me. Even though this week has been gut-wrenching, I have been so encouraged by the way people have been responding. I have been so uplifted by so many different people and I wanted to write down and share my some of my thoughts as well as what has encouraged me in hopes of possibly encouraging someone else.

  1. I just want to say that you are loved. You are loved by the creator of the universe, you are loved by your friends and peers, you are loved by your family. You are worthy because you are loved. Do not EVER forget that.  
  2. Kindness goes a long way. I have been so blown away by the way people have been responding to such sadness. It makes my heart happy to see people showing each other little acts of kindness like putting encouraging notes around the school, raising money, checking in on one another, and raising awareness to suicide and mental illnesses. A little kindness goes a long way, especially in hard times.
  3. Life is like a vapor. This past Sunday, before any of this week’s events had happened, I heard a sermon preached out of James 4:17. It talks about how we do not know what will happen tomorrow. Guy’s, we must live for today. It is so easy to take for granted everything in your life. I do it all the time. But we must live like it is our last day. Be the change and the good you want to see in the world. I hate how it takes a death to put life into perspective. We never know how much time we have left on this earth or how much time we have with our loved ones. So take the time to tell them you love them. Take the time to give them a big hug and make sure they understand how much they mean to you. Make them feel loved.
  4. It is 100% okay to mourn. Even Jesus wept when he heard Lazarus died (John 11:33-36). It's good to cry. Letting out emotion is part of the healing process. Find people who you can cry and talk with. If you need time to just think and process, go for a drive or go sit somewhere quiet or outside and just think, pray, or cry. 
  5. There is hope! There is an abundance of hope in Jesus Christ. If you have made the personal decision to place your life in the hands of Jesus, admit your need for a savior, and believe that Jesus died on the cross and rose again after three days, then you have hope! You will one day live in paradise (Revelation 21:4). This world is not your final home, spending eternity with Jesus is. Although the separation hurts now, knowing you will see someone again in heaven some day is so comforting.
  6. God is in control. Even when things seem so dark and hopeless, God has a plan. He knew what was going to happen from the beginning of time. I have faith that God is good and he will always find a way to bring hope into a hopeless situation. This world is so full of evil and sin that sometimes the light is hard to see, but I promise it is there. We are guaranteed to face trials in this life. There is no way to avoid it, as much as I would love to think there is. However, God uses these trials to draw us near to him. Instead of turning away from God, draw near. Rest in his peace. Spend time praying. Let him know what is on your heart. God wants to hear from you.  

These verses have brought me hope and comfort throughout the last week. Let me know of anything that has encouraged you.

  1. John 14:27
I am leaving you with a gift-peace of mind and heart. And the peace I give is a gift the world cannot give. So do not be troubled or afraid.

  1. Philippians 4:7
           And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and     
           your minds in Christ Jesus.

  1. Romans 8:38-39
          I am convinced that neither death nor life, the present nor the future, nor anything else in   
          all creation will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our
          Lord.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One Skirt: Four Ways

Francesca's is a dangerous store for me to go in to. Over spring break I went into Francesca's to just try on a possible graduation dress and ended up with a dress, skirt, and top- oops! Needless to say, I'm kind of obsessed with this skirt- it's so pretty and feminine! I love the colors and how easy it is to style. In today's post I will be sharing four ways to style this skirt. I am just obsessed with this skirt! The floral detailing is so pretty and feminine. Honestly I felt like it was a little out of my traditional comfort zone, but I decided to go for it! This tank is one of the tops I walked out of Francesca's with. The pink matched the colors in the skirt too perfectly to pass up! I purchased this lace top from LOFT last spring and I have found SO many different ways to style it! It pairs so nicely with this skirt and you can wear it tucked in or out-whatever best fits your preference. I personally like to tu

The Perfect Autumn Cape

Last year I hopped on the cape bandwagon, and I am so glad I did. Similar to blanket scarves, they are just like socially acceptable blankets.  An added bonus is that they are super cute too! I saw a red and black buffalo checked cape in a picture last fall and searched all winter for a look-alike! Finally, a few weeks ago at Walmart, of all places, I spotted this one! I scored it for under $15 and was a happy girl! Here's how I styled it and how you can get the look! I started by layering the cape with a simple white shirt to brighten up the outfit. Between the warmth of the shirt underneath and the cape itself, this look was perfect for a gorgeous fall day. I paired the tops with my go-to American Eagle jeans, to keep the outfit simple and comfortable.   Since I am so short, a lot of material can easily swallow me up and create a very boxy shape. With this in mind, I added a simple tan belt around my waist to give the cape some shape. I was feeling extra excited

Shopping Tips, Tricks, and Rules

I’m sure it is no surprise to you, but I love shopping! And since I love shopping I have picked up a few tips and tricks to be able to shop and get the clothing I want, without breaking the bank. With spring break just around the corner and spring in sight, I thought I would pass on a list of some of the rules I follow while shopping, as well as some tips on how to save money! Personal Rules/Tips: 1.      Think it through When I am shopping I have a rule for myself: I have to be able to put whatever I am considering buying with at least two different outfits. I do this so that I don’t buy something and only be able to wear it one way. I want to get the most out of my clothes and be able to wear them several different ways! I know that not everyone is able to just visualize an outfit, but I personally find it very helpful! 2.      Try it on I know that I definitely sometimes don’t feel like trying everything on, but things can look so different on than they did on the han